How Do We Rebuild America?
1. It must happen from the ground up. When building a house, the foundation must be built first, not the roof. When building a football team there are certain fundamentals that must be in place first, i.e., blocking, tackling, running, passing, catching. When building a marriage and a family there must be firm core values and commitments built on truth. The same apply for a society; firm core values and commitments built around truth. Why truth? Because truth never changes. If your marriage, family, and society are built around popular opinion then the foundation is ever changing and shifting. When the foundation is not rock solid, then no matter what you build around it, it will sooner or later crumble.
2. The foundation must be firm so it doesn’t shift, crack or deteriorate. We live in a post modern world where popular opinion believes there is no real truth. Truth is whatever you believe it is. Truth for you may be different than what truth for someone else is. Popular opinion says that the Bible is just a book, that at best, should be used as a guide to live your life the way YOU see fit.
Saying the Bible is a guide for life is like saying a life preserver is a guide for drowning victims. Imagine you have fallen overboard from a ship at sea. Someone sees you and grabs a life preserver. The well intentioned person starts waving the life preserver in the air and shouting, “SWIM THIS WAY!” What good will that do while you’re flailing away in the water? Instead, the person throws the life preserve to you and says “HOLD ON FOR YOUR LIFE!” That’s what the life preserver was designed for. The preservation of life!
The Bible is not a guide, it is a life preserver. It is meant to hold on to for dear life. It is the living word of God given to us by God Himself to hold onto for dear life!
Popular opinion says the Bible is ancient and most of what is written does not apply in 2015. BUT, popular opinion changes with the wind so the popular opinion foundation will shift and eventually crumble. The TRUTH foundation will never change and is rock solid. Jesus said, “I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6
Several hundred years ago popular opinion said the earth was flat. BUT, the truth was, is and always will be, the earth is round. This truth was written in Isaiah about 700 years BC!
“Have you not been paying attention?
Have you not been listening?
Haven’t you heard these stories all your life?
Don’t you understand the foundation of all things?
God sits high above the round ball of earth.” -The Message- Isaiah 40:21-24
Scripture also tells us that “Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.” Hebrews 13:8 In other words, the truth never changes. Oh yeah, and for those who think the Bible is just a book, 2 Timothy 3:16 says, “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, correcting and rebuking.” What are you using as your source for teaching, correcting and rebuking? Popular opinion or Truth?
We cannot believe some of scripture and ignore the rest. We don’t get to pick what agrees with our lifestyle of choice and discard the rest. It is either all or nothing! Jesus said that we are either with Him or against Him. (Matthew 12:30) We don’t get to pick out the commands Jesus gave us that we agree with and ignore the rest. We either follow all of Jesus or we don’t follow Him at all.
Since I’ve gone this far I might as well go all the way! 🙂
Reading the Book is one thing, but knowing the Author is a game changer! So many people are calling themselves Christians today because they go to church and read the Bible. A Christian that does not you make. 🙂
A Christian is a Christ follower. Someone who believes Jesus is who He says he is, the Son of God, who was crucified, and was resurrected by the power of God, and is coming back again. A Christian is someone who has Jesus as the Lord of their life. A Christian is someone who obeys Christ. Jesus himself said, “if you love me you will obey me.” John 14:15
3. We must start now because the storms have already started and we need shelter. The Great Commission that is found in Matthew 28 has three parts:
1) Make disciples of all nations.
2) Baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3) Teach them to obey everything I have commanded you.
The work really begins after someone has been baptized…the teaching. Teaching our kids at home to obey everything Jesus has commanded us to do is paramount. This teaching should be perpetual. We should never stop teaching each other about obeying Jesus’ commands and principles found in scripture. This teaching will keep us from falling for deceptive ideas and philosophies.
Colossians 2:8-10 “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.”
Colossians 3:20, 22 “Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules? …These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings.”
How do we rebuild America?
Start from the ground up
Build on the foundation that is rock solid…Jesus Christ